Lecturer in Teacher Education
Director of the Education Minor
Dr. Duff has taught prospective teachers since 2007, after spending the first part of his career as a high school teacher. His expertise is in the area of secondary curriculum, assessment, and instruction, and his mission is to support students who know they want to become education professionals and to encourage students who just don't realize it yet!
108 Plant Sciences Building
- Ph.D., Curriculum and Instruction: University of Florida
- M.Ed., Teacher Leadership: University of New Hampshire
- A.B. summa cum laude, Psychology, with a concentration in linguistics: Princeton University
Courses at Cornell
- Engaging Students in Learning (EDUC 4040; on instruction and assessment)
- Inclusive Secondary Education (EDUC 4060; on including special-needs students in general education classrooms)
- Student-Teaching Practicum and Seminar (EDUC 6010/6020; supervising apprentice teachers and guiding their portfolio development)
- What Should Students Learn in School? (EDUC 4940*; on standards and curriculum)
- Advice to my High School Teachers (EDUC 4940*; on the transition from secondary to post-secondary education or employment)
- I'm So Over High School—Why Would I Want to Look Back? (EDUC 1170, First-Year Writing Seminar; on the problems and possibilities of high school education)
*EDUC 4940 is a "special topics" number for EDUC courses being piloted
- Duff, B., & Clausen, S. (November 2011). "Acoustic Education: The Whys and Whens of Unplugging." Paper presented at the Kappa Delta Pi (International Honor Society in Education) Biennial Convocation. Indianapolis, IN.
- Weiner, H., Kozik, P., & Duff, B. (October 2011). "A Special Education Course for General Educators: A Mandate and an Opportunity." Paper presented at the annual New York State Association of Teacher Educators Conference. Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Duff, B., & O'Keefe, K. (August 2011). "Crossing Borders to Create Community in Secondary Education." Paper presented at the annual Association of Teacher Educators Summer Conference. Philadelphia, PA.
- Duff, B., & Northrup, E. (March 2011). "Bold Action Research: Education Students Investigating Issues and Proposing Solutions." Paper presented at the ASCD Annual Conference. San Francisco, CA.
- Duff, B., & Speciale, D. (October 2010). "Including Small Liberal Arts Colleges in the Inclusion Conversation." Roundtable facilitated at the annual New York State Association of Teacher Educators Fall Conference. Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Duff, B., & Clausen, S. (November 2009). "Adopt a Sister Class: A Promising Model for College-K-12 Collaboration." Workshop presented at the annual Coalition of Essential Schools Fall Forum. New Orleans, LA.
- Duff, B. (June 2007). "The Psychology of Senior Project Engagement." Paper presented at the annual Senior Project Network National Conference. New Orleans, LA.